Last Saturday, April 11, the UCSB Photography Club,  along with local photographers and models, met at the Santa Barbara Shores County Park for their quarterly “Shootout,” where photographers get hands-on practice photographing portraits, lighting techniques, and general camera usage, while models get free portraits and headshots for professional use.

The Photography Club became an official club at the end of the winter 2015 quarter. The club meets every Tuesday in Girvetz 1119 at 8pm. The president of the club, Alex Gonzalez, is currently a 3rd year biopsychology major, who came up with this idea of a “shootout” when he first started out as a photographer in high school in his hometown, and met with other photographers and honed his skills as a photographer. Alex brought this idea with him with the rest of the club and over the past few months, the club has grown from around 40 members to 250 members. The best way to get involved is to join the the Facebook group, where other members share valuable information, tips, feedback, and even offer classes and workshops for beginning photographers. The group can be found HERE

Below is a sample of the amazing work of Nexus photographers who participated.

Photos by Lorenzo Basilio, McLane Brown, Alex Gonzalez, Christine Skari

Alex Gonzalez/Daily Nexus

Group shot of all the photographers and models who showed up at the spring quarter shootout. Alex Gonzalez/Daily Nexus

Photo Shootout-8

Christine Skari/Daily Nexus

Lorenzo Basilio/Daily Nexus

Lorenzo Basilio/Daily Nexus

McLane Brown/Daily Nexus

McLane Brown/Daily Nexus

Christine Skari/Daily Nexus

Christine Skari/Daily Nexus

Alex Gonzalez/Daily Nexus

Alex Gonzalez/Daily Nexus

McLane Brown/Daily Nexus

McLane Brown/Daily Nexus

Lorenzo Basilio/Daily Nexus

Lorenzo Basilio/Daily Nexus

Alex Gonzalez/Daily Nexus

Alex Gonzalez/Daily Nexus

Christine Skari/Daily Nexus

Christine Skari/Daily Nexus

Alex Gonzalez/Daily Nexus

Alex Gonzalez/Daily Nexus

Christine Skari/Daily Nexus

Christine Skari/Daily Nexus

Daily Nexus Photography
A cool team of photographers who preserves the visual memory of UCSB and Isla Vista. The photo editor can be reached at photo@dailynexus.com.