Sushi wrap and bowl from Miso Hungry. Kelsey Tang / Daily Nexus

Sushi wrap and bowl from Miso Hungry. Kelsey Tang/Daily Nexus

On late weekend nights when inhibitions run low and diets become history, your stomach may grumble for hearty and rich foods. At this point, a warm burrito or a couple of sticky sushi rolls will placate a drunken craving. Miso Hungry dedicates itself to fulfilling these seemingly strange fusion foods, specializing in sushi wraps, bowls and salads. With an objective to explore the hype around the trending “sushirrito,” I visited the restaurant with an open mind and thundering stomach.

Greeting customers with clean white walls and sleek metal tables, Miso Hungry clearly defines itself as a minimalist and stylish sushi bar. For those indecisive and fickle individuals, the restaurant provides a generous menu boasting the most nutritious ingredients. And for those who favor customization, the preparer can concoct your own wrap, bowl or salad. I chose the former and ordered the salmon wrap. Neatly bundled within the seaweed layer was white rice, crispy asparagus, spinach, red onions, carrots, avocado, daikon sprouts and the much anticipated chunks of salmon.

Those who proclaim themselves as sushi snobs may find fault in the restaurant’s myriad of sauces. Quality fish should stand on its own, but one shouldn’t visit a Japanese fusion restaurant expecting perfect authenticity. I chose to drizzle my order with the citrusy tang of yuzu marinade and the milky zest of spicy sauce.

Settling outside into the spacious patio, I bit into the fragile blend of fresh greens and crunchy veggies within the salmon wrap. Although not every bite included the cubes of salmon, I admired the craft and healthfulness. The wrap carried all the delightfully cold and gummy qualities of sushi: creamy fish, chewy rice and crackling seaweed.

My experience ended with the usage of a fork as my wrap broke apart near the end. Perks of ordering the bowl include dictating what each bite will consist of, an aspect not to be overlooked. So while the extravagantly large sushi wrap lacked at least one ingredient for every bite, the novelty of the enormous wrap could still be worth a solid 10 dollars. And when that novelty wears off, opt for the neater alternative of a sushi bowl instead.

“The bowl definitely includes more portions than the wrap,” comments Mitchell Kim, a first-year at UCSB, “but it’s still not worth my 10 dollars. I’d prefer more fish than vegetables.”

Depending on perspective, Miso Hungry either skimps on the fish or offers ample vegetables. An individual with a primarily herbivorous or pescetarian diet will find sanctuary in the nourishing embraces of the restaurant’s cuisine. Carnivores with a receptive mindset should visit the restaurant at least once, but be prepared to for a meat shortage.