Law enforcement responded to numerous calls in Isla Vista last week regarding prowling, theft, public intoxication and animal mistreatment, among other crimes.

On Monday, law enforcement confronted a female SBCC student outside I.V. Market after she stole a bottle of tequila. Deputies arrested the suspect for theft and minor in possession. Later on Monday, deputies responded to reported gunshots at Ocean Meadows golf course. I.V. Foot Patrol (IVFP) and Goleta Sheriff’s units responded and established a perimeter around the course and an air unit was deployed. Further investigation of the incident determined reports to be unfounded.

On Tuesday, IVFP units responded to an anonymous call about animal mistreatment taking place in I.V. Authorities identified and requested to search April Stewart’s vehicle to check the welfare of her dogs and found she was in possession of a used hypodermic needle and a glass pipe commonly used to smoke methamphetamine. According to the IVFP, residue left in the pipe indicated recent use. Stewart’s animals were also found to be not properly cared for and Stewart was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia, violation of probation and cruelty to animals.

On Wednesday, deputies subdued a man refusing to pay a cab driver on the 6700 block of Sabado Tarde. The suspect, later identified as Darris Cotton, was seen evading the cab driver and attempting to flee. Deputies were able to contact Cotton, who the cab driver wanted to have arrested for petty theft for failure to pay. After deputies conducted a records check on Cotton, it was discovered he was on parole for robbery and was subsequently arrested for violation of parole.

On Friday night, IVFP stopped SBCC student Jose De Alba, who was walking down the 6600 block of Sabado Tarde carrying a laptop. When confronted, De Alba’s story contained conflicting evidence and upon further investigation deputies found the had just committed a residential burglary, though officials declined to state where the burglary occurred. The laptop was returned and De Alba was arrested.

Also on Friday, a male subject was reported to be “prowling,” lurking in an area intending to commit a crime, in a backyard on the 6700 block of Pasado. The property resident was able to provide a detailed description of the suspect who was later identified and arrested in an in-field lineup.

On Saturday, IVFP recorded nine arrests and 12 citations. On the 6500 block of Sabado Tarde, a male subject was observed walking in a small group being extremely loud. The subject was trying to high five passersbys and was determined to be causing a disturbance with the potential to cause a fight. The male and his friends began to flee once they saw law enforcement approaching. Subjects fled for about two blocks but were apprehended at International Food Market. The original male was located in the back parking lot of the store, out of breath and urinating on himself. He was charged for public intoxication, fleeing law enforcement and urinating in public.

On Sunday, deputies recorded three arrests and six citations. On Sunday night, Pizza My Heart employees reported a female who had been at the restaurant drinking all day. She left and returned later, more intoxicated than she had been when she left. She was socializing with restaurant patrons and then began to pass out on a table. Alone and unable to care for her own safety, she was arrested for public intoxication. Later, Garden Court Security reported an intoxicated male in the courtyard area causing a disturbance. He fled the complex, but was located at 880 Camino del Sur and arrested for public intoxication.

Finally, at approximately 9:15 a.m. on Tuesday the 17th, deputies responded to a call of a subject who appeared to be injured within a vehicle in the parking lot of Goleta Beach.  Upon arrival, it was discovered that the male victim was killed by an apparent gunshot wound.  The Sheriff’s Coroner’s Unit is investigating, but law enforcement reports that at this point no foul play is suspected.   No further information will be released until the victim’s next-of-kin has been notified.