Last Wednesday, University of California Police Department released its annual crime statistics report as required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.

The report, formerly known as the Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act, gives students, prospective students, parents and employees access to information about crimes committed on campus and campus security procedures. Aside from campus crime statistics, the report also details the contact information for various campus security authorities and sexual violence prevention resources, and also defines campus policies on alcoholic beverages, drugs and sexual violence.

Clery Act 10

Graphic by Atekan Alba/Daily Nexus

According to the report, the trend of forcible sexual offenses committed has continued to rise at UCSB, with 23 in 2013 as compared to 12 in 2012 and 7 in 2011. On the other hand, UCSB had a reduction in the rates of burglary, from 40 burglaries in 2011 to 26 in 2013. The report also showed an increase in liquor law arrests but a decrease in liquor law referrals. Back in 2011, 955 liquor law referrals were issued; in 2013, this figure had dropped to 752.

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998 is an amendment to the Higher Education Act of 1965. By law, every college and university nationwide receiving financial aid is required to publish a crime statistics act annually. Colleges and universities must submit their crime reports to the Federal Department of Education by October 1 or potentially lose federal funds.

Prior to 2013, the Clery Act did not require the collection of domestic violence, dating violence and stalking statistics. UCSB reported two cases of each offense in 2013.

Since 2010, UCSB has not included Isla Vista crime in its annual Clery Report. It is important to note that students affiliated with UCSB athletics are counted in the report regardless of residence, whereas those in Greek housing are not.