The Resource Center for Sexual & Gender Diversity hosted the non-heteronormative event that challenged racist and sexist themes of mainstream fairytales.

Students dressed as Tinker Bell, Cruella de Vil and Superman turned fairytale norms upside down last night as they walked in the Enchanted Fashion Show in Corwin Pavilion.

Hosted by the Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity, the fashion show was organized to challenge what are often considered racist and sexist themes of mainstream fairytales by providing non-heteronormative students with the opportunity to dress up and showcase their sexual identities. It also served as a means by which students could express their support for the LGBTQ community.

Isis King, the first transgender model to appear on the hit show “America’s Next Top Model,” made an appearance to kick off the fashion show and encouraged students to dream big.

“The world is changing a day at a time, and I’m here with you to let you know that if you follow your dreams, you can make anything happen,” King said.

King also invited members of the audience to walk the catwalk in a playful competition in which two models would walk and the audience would cheer for the look they liked best. Student models took to the catwalk immediately following King’s segment. Many students chose to make the typical fairytale look their own, while others modeled outfits representative of their native culture and customs.

Jackelin Martinez, for example, wore a Mexican traditional folk dancing costume but gave it a twist.

“We have the girls in the male costumes and the males in the female costumes so we’re breaking that gender norm,” Martinez said.

When designing their outfits, students were allowed to bring their own clothes or choose from an assortment of articles of clothing backstage. A wide array of accessories that included shoes, belts, bows, glitter and fairy wings was available as well, giving students the ability to individualize outfits to their liking.

Deshina Rajeswari, who co-hosted, said she was interested in experiencing the unique angle of the Enchanted Fashion Show and seeing what it had to offer.

“The fliers were talking about sexual diversity so I knew it wasn’t going to be a stereotypical fashion show — that’s what brought me here,” she said. “I just really liked seeing everyone come out and just work it.”

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Photos by Alex Gonzalez / Daily Nexus.

A version of this story appeared on page 4 of Wednesday, March 5, 2014’s print edition of the Daily Nexus.