Tonight UCSB students will have the chance to see a performance in the Hub by rising vocalist Mary Lambert, who recently garnered worldwide attention by writing and singing the chorus to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ hit song “Same Love.”

Attendees will be treated to selections from Lambert’s new album Letters Don’t Talk, along with her spoken word presentations which touch on themes of sexuality, body image and sexual abuse. The event is sponsored by the Women, Gender & Sexual Equity Department (WGSE), nonprofit organization Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment, or PAVE, and Queer Commission, along with branches of Associated Students.

According to Emily Crutcher, prevention education coordinator for the Campus Advocacy, Resources & Education (CARE) program and programming coordinator for WGSE, Lambert’s performance promises to be an unconventional mix of enjoyable music and explorations of serious subject matter.

“I think that Mary has a unique combination of really being an artistic, talented performer but also speaking to some really important issues for students on campus,” Crutcher said.

Lambert’s big break came when she was working as a barista and waitress, according to her website. After being recommended by a friend to producer Ryan Lewis, Lambert wrote the chorus for “Same Love” within a two-hour period, and the lyrics of the song focus on her experiences of being Christian and lesbian.

Crutcher said the idea for bringing Lambert to UCSB arose when her supervisor, director of LGBT Services Joshua Moon Johnson, saw Lambert in concert and then decided to contact the singer’s agents.

As only UCSB students and faculty with a valid pass can attend the event, Crutcher said she expects the concert to have a relatively intimate atmosphere, with an expected 300 to 400 attendees. According to Crutcher, event organizers wanted Lambert’s performance to be available to a smaller audience right here at UCSB.

Noting Lambert’s talent and growing popularity, Crutcher said attendees will have an amazing opportunity to see an artist on the brink of even greater recognition.

“I think we’re getting her right before she really blows up and becomes nationally recognized,” Crutcher said.

A version of this story appeared on page 4 of Thursday, January 9, 2014’s print edition of the Daily Nexus.