Multicultural sorority Sigma Alpha Zeta will partner with Domestic Violence Solutions for Santa Barbara County, a local nonprofit organization that provides assistance to victims of domestic abuse, to host the Run for Love 5K this Saturday at Leadbetter Beach in Goleta.

Run for Love will raise funds for efforts that aim to both implement solutions to domestic abuse and promote healthy relationships. The sorority puts on philanthropy events that highlight domestic violence issues every month, educating the sorority sisters and other community members about issues of domestic violence. The event will be offering free snacks and will feature a raffle for either a pair of movie tickets or a “love basket” that consists of a variety of goodies — including a free, two-night stay at the Hampton Inn Hotel, wine-tasting opportunities and a $50 gift card for the Beachside Bar and Café.

The organization provides Santa Barbara’s only transitional housing program for domestic violence survivors and a 24-hour shelter service for women and their children. The self-proclaimed only full-service domestic violence agency in Santa Barbara County, the group also provides outreach efforts for teens, education programs and events like Run for Love.

According to Jasmine Gonzalez, second-year political science major and Sigma Alpha Zeta member, Run for Love will allow participants not only to exercise but also to learn about how domestic violence can be eliminated.

“We will be providing shirts to our runners that state they are one out of the hundred running for love,” Gonzalez said. “We are aiming to make a difference in people’s lives as well as give people a voice to stand up against domestic violence.”

The sorority chose to team up with Domestic Violence Solutions because the organizations share similar goals and DV Solutions possesses many resources that help Sigma Alpha Zeta further their philanthropic efforts, Gonzalez said.

Run for Love Coordinating Assistant Casarah Gutierrez, fourth-year sociology major, said that although the event requires a lot of work, the testimonies of individuals affected by Run for Love and similar events reminds her of why she and her team exert the efforts they do.

“I have received countless emails and phone calls with personal stories of families who are touched by this event,” Gutierrez said. “They’ve truly touched my heart and have reminded me why we are working so hard to make this event happen.”

Registration has closed since the race cap of 100 runners has been reached, but students are still welcome to come out and cheer for participants.