UCSB Disk Golf team member Mike Sale recently broke the world record for the most disc golf holes played in a 24-hour period.

Sale accomplished the feat last month during a fundraiser in Isla Vista, which was celebrating the UCSB Disc Golf team’s recent qualification to reach the national Collegiate Disc Golf tournament in Florida. The event raised a significant amount of money for the team and the four members were able to purchase tickets to the national competition.

The previous record was set at 1,305 holes a day, and Sale surpassed that milestone setting it at 1,310 holes.

The feat required Sale to stay awake for over 24 hours, with his longest breaks clocking in at a mere seven minutes.

According to Sale, the most difficult part of the challenge came at around 4:30 a.m. when exhaustion took over.

“My legs were reluctant to move and the blisters on my feet were unimaginably painful to walk on,” Sale said. “Every step brought pain.”

In addition to such soreness, Sale said it was even difficult to even walk at times, making the record an even more challenging feat to overcome.

“My muscles were tightening up and resisting any movement I wanted to make, stepping on my feet felt like I was being stabbed by little needles,” Said said. “It was extraordinarily difficult.”

Sale managed to persevere for another five hours to achieve the goal, and said he motivated himself with self-encouragement, focusing on attaining his goal as it presents a feat that may be thought of as impossible to some.

“Although the world record attempt was meant to raise money for our trip to the Collegiate Disc Golf National Championships, it was more an attempt for me,” Sale said. “I believe that the human body has so much potential that we never tap and I wanted to prove that. I wanted to show people that if you set your mind to something that you want, it doesn’t matter how difficult it is, it is obtainable.”

According to Sale, teammates, friends and other volunteers came to support his mission, providing him with the motivational boost to accomplish the task.

“You can achieve the impossible, and when it really comes down to it,” Sale said, “it’s really all about how much you will fight for it, and what you’re willing to do to reach your goal.”

A version of this article appeared on page 3 of March 1st, 2013’s print edition of the Nexus.

Photo by Jimmy Chang of the Daily Nexus.