After being drafted 44th in the MLS Supplemental Draft on Jan. 22 by the Colorado Rapids, former Gaucho Machael David is currently in Colorado training with the team.

According to David, the Rapids are in the process of offering a contract and he is waiting on his agent to discuss the details.

“I spoke to the coach a couple days ago and he said that he thinks I can really help them in the middle,” David said. “I like the program, the coaches like me and for him to tell me that they want me to help them in the middle, that tells me that they want me and that makes me happy.”

Last season, the Rapids finished in seventh place in the Western Conference of the MLS, two spots out of playoff contention.

“I’m getting used to the altitude, but I’m looking to bring my energy and my vision in the game,” David said. “Hopefully this year, we’ll go to the postseason and win the MLS cup.”

A holding midfielder with an incredible work ethic, David could be a large asset to a pro team.

“He brings energy,” UCSB Head Coach Tim Vom Steeg said. “He will be the fittest player on their team. It’s like you have an extra player when he’s out there.”

During his career at UCSB, the senior midfielder played in 66 games, scored three goals and tallied 10 assists. However, the statistics don’t tell the whole story for David, as he was best known for his control in the midfield.

“Every college student should go to UCSB because it prepares you for the next level with the fans and the atmosphere,” David said. “It’s funny because I was talking to my friend after practice and everybody wants to come to UCSB, even if they’re a professional. It makes me proud to come from a place where everyone wants to go. I’ll cherish my experience at UCSB.”

David came to UCSB five years ago, redshirting his first year. In his first year wearing a Gaucho uniform, the midfielder racked up numerous awards, including Big West Freshman of the Year, Soccer America All-Freshman Second Team and topDrawerSoccer.com All-Rookie First Team honors.

As a sophomore, David was named to the All-Big West First Team. However, as a junior and senior, injuries plagued David as he only played in a total of 22 games in the two seasons combined.

“For me, I was a little bit disappointed because I was expecting to go in the first round,” David said. “At the combine, everyone was questioning my health issue and that was a big question at my interview.”

In his final year at UCSB, David started nine of the 11 games he played in and was crucial against Sacramento State on Oct. 16 when he assisted freshman midfielder Ema Boateng’s game-winning goal.

David has also garnered several academic awards, earning four straight Big West All-Academic honors and three Golden Eagle Awards. This past fall, he was also a men’s soccer candidate for the Senior CLASS award.

David is now one of 25 players from UCSB drafted into the MLS since 2004.

“[David’s] an emotional kid who cared greatly about UCSB soccer and the program,” Vom Steeg said. “When he [first] came here, we talked about how important it was for him to get a degree and for him to have an opportunity to play professional soccer. I’ve been proud he’s been able to do that. We wish him a lot of luck.”

A version of this article appeared on page 9 of February 14th, 2013’s print edition of the Nexus.