I.V. Foot Patrol officers responded to a residential burglary on the 6500 block of Del Playa Drive at about 1:15 a.m. yesterday morning, arresting  — an 18-year-old Santa Barbara City College student — shortly after.

Lim is currently being held at Santa Barbara County Jail for a number of charges including residential burglary, possession of stolen property, possession of a controlled substance, petty theft and resisting arrest— with his bail set at $50,000. When officers first located Lim upon arrival to the scene, he was identified as the suspect after matching the victims’ description. Initially, Lim attempted to flee from the officers, prompting a foot pursuit that ended in his capture and detainment.

After finding Lim was in possession of the items reported as stolen, officers also found him to be in possession of a Samsung TV monitor, a GPS device, numerous credit cards, electronic devices, cell phones, prescription medication and checks.

According to Kelly Hoover — spokesperson for the County Sheriff’s Office — the items found on Lim’s person matched the description of other reportedly stolen items.

“In his possession, they found not only items from the residential burglary, but they also found other items from other thefts reported in the area,” Hoover said.

Hoover said the burglary highlights how important it is for Isla Vista residents to maintain residential security.

“This is a great example of why it’s really important to keep your doors and windows locked and keep your valuable items out of plain view,” Hoover said.

Rhandy Siordia — the A.S. External Vice President of Local Affairs — said local burglaries often occur because Isla Vista residents fail to take such precautions.

I.V. Foot Patrol recently partnered with the EVLPA office and local businesses and residents to launch an anti-crime campaign called “Stop the Burgs,” which is also sponsored by the I.V. Tenants Union amongst other groups. The campaign effort distributes stickers and banners encouraging students to lock their doors and windows.

According to Siordia, burglary went down by roughly 33 percent after the campaign was launched last year, resulting in it receiving the Award of Recognition from local Congresswoman Lois Capp’s office.

A version of this article appeared on page 1 of January 28th, 2013’s print edition of the Nexus.