Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Lacrosse >> Sports

UCSB Sets Sights on Championship, Enters Tournament as No. 2 Seed

UCSB women’s lacrosse heads to Colorado Springs to participate in the WCLA National Championship Tournament this week, beginning play Wednesday against the University of Minnesota.

The Gauchos enter the tournament as the No. 2 seed while the Gophers go in as the underdog at No. 15. UCSB is currently 14-2 overall, while Minnesota holds an 11-6 record.

UCSB’s junior midfielder Katie Mitchell leads the team offensively with 59 goals and 23 assists. Senior attacker Maegan Cruse has also proved an offensive threat, tallying 33 goals and 24 assists. Finally, freshman attacker Alex Lindsay leads the team in assists with 57.

Defensively, senior goalie Jeni Centner leads the team with 177 saves.

Minnesota’s sophomore attackers Ashlee Miller and Blake Kist fuel the team’s offense, both totaling 21 goals on the campaign. Junior attacker Sophia Nesser leads the team in assists with nine.

The Gauchos earned their second seed in the tournament with a 10-4 victory over Chapman University in the WWLL Championships on April 22.

After taking a 4-2 lead into halftime, UCSB extended its lead in the final period, outscoring the Panthers 6-2.

The Gauchos outshot Chapman 25-21. Junior attacker Lindsay Remigio and sophomore midfielder Blair Evans anchored the UCSB offense, scoring three goals apiece.

The first face-off against Minnesota is set for 10 a.m. Wednesday.

Note:

In an effort to combat spam, comments that include links must be manually approved. Comments will generally be approved in under an hour depending on the time that they are submitted.

Please do not submit correction requests in the comments section as comments are not reviewed regularly. Correction requests submitted this way therefore may not be noticed for weeks at a time. Please submit all correction requests to eic@dailynexus.com or to the editor of the section in which the story in question appears.