Last Saturday, the UCSB men’s lacrosse team celebrated its homecoming game with a 9-6 win over SLC North Division opponent Loyola Marymount, bringing the team’s division record to 3-0 and 10-1 overall.

The Gauchos started the game off hot in the first quarter when junior midfielder CJ Jacobs netted an unassisted goal. Later in the quarter, a goal by sophomore midfielder Aaron Bucka and two by senior captain Taylor Gilbert brought the UCSB lead to 4-0 at the end of the first quarter.

The Lions managed to avoid the shutout with two goals in the second quarter, but the Gauchos answered right back with goals by Bucka, Gilbert and senior midfielder Oisin Lewis to bring the score to 7-2 at halftime.

A mere 30 seconds into the third quarter, senior captain Aaron Hemeon’s 11th goal of the season gave UCSB an 8-2 lead. However, LMU refused to quit, responding with a goal of its own. Senior Jamie Bridgman’s team-leading 22nd goal brought the Gaucho lead to 9-3 at the end of the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, the Lions mounted a late comeback, scoring three goals, but were eventually halted by UCSB’s stingy defense, led by junior captain Kenny Smith. The Gauchos failed to score again, but held on to a 9-6 victory.

UCSB has two regular season games remaining, with the first one on Sat. April 14 against San Diego State at Westview High School. The Gauchos’ final regular-season game will be at home against SLC Division rival Chapman at 1 p.m., and has been named Senior Day. After that, on Sat. April 28, the Gauchos will play their first-round playoff game on their journey to the championship. Their opponent and game time are still to be determined.