The UCSB men’s golf team tied the University of Wyoming to finish No. 13 out of 23 teams at the Wyoming Cowboy Classic in Scottsdale, Arizona. Santa Barbara shot an 848 at the two-day event, good for eight over par. Kansas State took first place at the event, shooting 826, 14 under par.

Santa Barbara came off of a successful hosting in early April of the OGIO UC Santa Barbara invite, where the Gauchos took third place, but UCSB struggled early in Arizona. They found themselves in dead last with a score of 292 after one round of play. Seniors Russell Boring and Kei Kita tied for No. 38 on the day and shot in the low 70s in round one — 70 and 71, respectively.

Kansas State dominated in the first round with a score of 268 and established itself as a front-runner for the event from the get-go. Kansas State’s junior Ben Juffer was No. 1 overall in the event, shooting a 198 on the day with a high of 67 in the three rounds.

In the second round, Kita and senior Tyler Sterk put up impressive scores, shooting 67 and 65, respectively. Sterk found himself improving on his round one score of 77 by 12 strokes, leading UCSB to a score of 278 in the second round. The push was coupled well with a strong third round. Santa Barbara pulled together again in the third and final round of play, shooting another impressive 278. Freshman Michael Haeri improved to 70 from his 82 in round two. Sophomore Paul Otte led the charge in the final round, dropping to a 67 to lead the Gauchos from the early deficit to a tie for No. 13 at the Wyoming Cowboy Classic.

The UCSB men’s golf team travels to Irvine next for the Anteater Invitational at the Shady Canyon Country Club on April 23 and 24.