[media-credit id=20358 align=”alignleft” width=”206″][/media-credit]

Vincent Velasquez, 26, was fatally stabbed on the 6600 block of Abrego Road shortly after 12:00 a.m. on Sunday.

A 26-year-old Santa Barbara resident was fatally stabbed during an altercation on the 6600 block of Abrego Road around 12:00 a.m. on Sunday.

Vincent Velasquez was taken to Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital after sustaining life-threatening stab wounds from a fight with at least one other individual. Deputies arrived at the hospital around 12:39 a.m. and officials pronounced Velasquez dead shortly after. As of press time, no suspects have been arrested in connection to the incident.

According to Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Dept. Sgt. Dave Brookshire, the victim was visiting friends in Isla Vista prior to his death.

Second-year biopsychology major Meghan Connell, a resident of Abrego Road, said the severity of the crime was a step up from the community’s usual low-level violence.

“I am not surprised that there was a fight,” Connell said. “Fights happen all the time on this street. It is just shocking that someone died.”

The Sherriff’s Dept. requests anyone with information related to the crime contact the Criminal Investigations Division at (805) 681-4150 or the Sheriff’s Anonymous Tip Line at (805) 681-4171. There is also an Anonymous Tips and Information page on the Sheriff’s website at www.sbsheriff.org/anonymoustips.