Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

News

UCSB Aids Air Force in Research

The United States Dept. of Defense is awarding $14.5 million to UCSB through several grants over the next five years.

The Air Force Office of Scientific Research allotted more than 7 percent of the Multicampus University Research Initiative Program’s $191 million total funding to several research projects on campus. The university is one of 27 campuses nationwide to receive financial support from the department’s MURI.

Electrical and computer engineering professor Kwang-Ting Cheng will oversee a $7 million grant from the department for his team to build new compact three-dimensional computer chips using nano-memristor technology. Cheng’s team will collaborate with researchers from Stony Brook University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and California Institute of Technology.

The second award of $7.5 million will support computer chip research focusing on quantum mechanical effects in diamonds. Director of UCSB’s Center for Spintronics and Quantum Computation David Awschalom, a physics and electrical and computer engineering professor, will supervise the program. The university will work alongside researchers from the California Institute of Technology, Harvard University, University of Iowa and Iowa State University.

According to a press release, Vice Chancellor for Research Michael Witherell said the award reflects the groups’ success as the best in their respective fields of the highly competitive national program.

—Staff Report

Note:

In an effort to combat spam, comments that include links must be manually approved. Comments will generally be approved in under an hour depending on the time that they are submitted.

Please do not submit correction requests in the comments section as comments are not reviewed regularly. Correction requests submitted this way therefore may not be noticed for weeks at a time. Please submit all correction requests to eic@dailynexus.com or to the editor of the section in which the story in question appears.