UCSB had 63,303 applicants for Fall 2011, about 7 percent more than last year.

At UCSB, the nearly 4,300 additional undergraduate applicants this year came from 2,343 more freshmen and 1,968 more transfers. Nearly a third of all applicants to UCSB identified as African-American, American-Indian, Chicano and Latino, representing a boost of 788 applicants from minority groups this year. UC admissions decisions will be made by the end of April.

Of the 49,015 freshman applicants for UCSB, 33 percent have GPAs of 4.0 or higher. Ninety two percent of applicants looking to transfer are currently enrolled in a state community college.

Director of Admissions Christine Van Gieson said the size and breadth of the applicant pool for Fall reflect the quality of a UCSB education.

What’s more, according to data released by the University of California Office of the President on Friday, the whole UC system had a record number of applications from undergraduates this year, with increases for each of its 10 campuses.

According to UC Director of Admissions Susan Wilbur, the increase in applicants has created a competitive atmosphere. UCSB is no exception; its target enrollments have remained the same since last year — projecting to admit 3,900 first-year students and 1,500 transfer students for fall.

“Since we are in a period where the number of freshman high school grads is relatively flat, this increase in freshman applications indicates that more students are meeting the admission requirements of the University of California,” Wilbur said.

Wilbur said an increased number of international, out-of-state and underrepresented students also applied to the UC.

“These students comprise just over 28 percent of UC’s freshman applicants,” Wibur said

However, the increase in non-resident students, which rose by 1,253 applicants since 2010, will not affect the number of California residents who are admitted to the university because the two applicant pools are assessed as distinct populations.

“Campuses admit the number of non-resident students they can up to their local capacity,” Wilbur said. “These non-resident students must meet higher admissions criteria and exceed the criteria [set for California residents],” Wilbur said.

Additionally, Wilbur said the student body at large can benefit financially from an increase in international applicants, which rose by 22.5 percent this year.

“First of all, we are an international institution and we believe it is sound education to have a diverse student body,” Wilbur said. “In addition, from a pragmatic point of view, our non-resident students pay a higher fee and that money is retained on the campuses …. Everyone benefits when campuses receive additional resources. … The fact that we are not receiving more support from the state to educate these students means that we are limited in what we can do. The serious issue is that we’d like to increase [enrollment] and right now we can’t.”