You know that unwritten law that swears greasy, cheesy food is the best thing to cure a raging hangover? Well, Backyard Bowls may have convinced us otherwise.

Santa Barbara alums Pete Heth and Dan Goddard sprouted the idea for Backyard Bowls based on their shared adoration of acai bowls in Oahu, Hawaii. Located in the Calle Real Shopping Center, this grassroots and health-conscious eatery offers its customers a nutritious alternative to their regular fast food diet.

Upon entering, diners are greeted by the relaxing and earthy atmosphere, created by rows of tables artistically carved from knotted trees. Local artists’ works line the faux-painted walls, and a team of friendly cashiers welcomes you to the front.

The most popular dishes are listed under the Acai Bowls section of the menu, where you can find my favorite menu item, the Green Bowl. Packed with an artillery of super foods, like broccoli, spinach, ginger and of course acai, the dish (er… bowl) is the most delicious way to get your daily serving of fruit and veggies. Topped with granola and local San Marcos honey, the breakfast treat can sate cravings at any time of the day or night.

If you are wary of ingesting all things green, Diego’s Power Bowl may more appropriately suit your hunger needs. Packed with protein-loaded peanut butter, topped with sliced bananas, and drizzled with Hemp Seeds and granola, the bowl will fuel your body for all the day’s activities.

Backyard Bowls also features a variety of non-acai breakfast bowls, including hot quinoa and agavetopped oatmeal, and a lengthy selection of fresh-blended smoothies. The restaurant, which also has a downtown State Street location, uses only sustainable and locally grown ingredients. No fillers, frozen yogurt or ice cream products are used to guarantee the most fresh and healthy approach to food.

Customers can also purchase organic teas, coconut milk, and locally produced jam and honey on their way out. Backyard Bowls is open weekdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and weekends from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information and a glimpse of the menu, visit www.backyardbowls.com.