The UCSB women’s volleyball team closed out its 2010 season Saturday night on the road with a 3-0 sweep of UC Riverside.

“We are glad that we were able to finish off our season emphatically with a good win over a good team,” senior setter Dana Vargas said.

Santa Barbara (16-13 overall, 10-6 Big West) secured its 15th win of the year, something they have done in 18 of the past 20 seasons. The Gauchos finished fourth in Big West, behind Long Beach State, Cal Poly and first place Cal State Fullerton, and are unlikely to earn a NCAA playoff berth.

“We try to look at the positives, but overall we are still a little disappointed with the results,” Head Coach Kathy Gregory said. “We played hard and competitively all year, but we had our chances and would have liked to end up going to the tournament.”

Against Riverside, the Gauchos were led by senior outside hitter Charlene DeHoog, who posted 15 kills and 10 digs in her final match for UCSB. Vargas dished out 34 assists, 11 of which junior middle blocker Stacey Schmidt converted for kills. Junior libero Chelsey Lowe had 29 digs.

Santa Barbara was in control for the first two sets, never trailing past the first 10 points in either frame. Consecutive DeHoog kills ended the first set 25-19 and a kill from freshman outside hitter Kara Sherrard ended the second set in favor of the Gauchos, 25-22.

Riverside led early in the third set at 7-4, but could not fend off the Gauchos, who won seven straight points to take an 11-7 lead. The Highlanders stuck around and fought back to tie the score at 20, but couldn’t complete the comeback as UCSB took the set 25-21.

“It’s sad the season ended earlier than we wanted it to,” DeHoog said. “Overall it was a good year though and we really enjoyed it.”

“There are really no easy games in the Big West,” Gregory said. “Our team chemistry and competitive attitude was great, and it was nice to be able to close out our season on a good note. We will work hard and come back strong next year.”