From a great NFL season that just keeps giving and giving, here are a few observations from last week:

Brett Favre

The 41-year-old followed up last week’s personal career best passing performance (446 yards) with a blunder at Chicago. Minnesota (3-6) lost the game 27-13 and Favre had three interceptions and lost a fumble. So much for riding out into the sunset — while wearing Wrangler jeans, of course — gracefully.

[media-credit id=20135 align=”alignleft” width=”91″][/media-credit]The Jags

If you didn’t see it, the Jacksonville Jaguars beat the Houston Texans on a last second Hail Mary throw by QB David Garrard that was batted down in the end zone by a Houston defender, straight into the hands of Jax WR Mike Thomas, who hopped into the end zone for the game winner.

After the game, Maurice Jones-Drew said he was happy that his team would be represented at the ESPYs for the Best Play category. Pretty awesome.

Troy Smith

Just to satisfy all you 49er fans, here is the part where I write a couple of sentences about how good Troy Smith looked on Sunday. About how, as opposed to a certain other SF QB with the same last name, he actually looked like he was trying. How he brought a confidence and swagger to the offense, especially at the end of the game. How he threw for 356 yards — something Alex Smith failed to do for the Niners in 50 games as starter. Now Smith (Troy, that is) should be the starter going forward.

And finally, here is the part where to the pleasure of Niner fans, I say that San Francisco — who is only two games behind first place Seattle — can take the NFC West this year, in which pathetically no team in the division has a positive point differential at the moment.

Michael Vick

Vick looked unbelievable Monday night. In a 59-28 crushing of the Redskins, he became the first player in the NFL with 300+ passing yards, 50+ rushing yards, four passing TDs and two rushing TDs. Wow. He is 4-0 as a starter this year, and if he continues this play, he may win the MVP.

The Unpredictability Continues

The New York Giants entered Sunday’s game against the Dallas Cowboys with a 6-2 record. They possessed the NFC’s top-ranked offense and defense and were riding a five-game winning streak (including a win over Dallas). The Cowboys were 1-7 and seemingly in turmoil, yet dominated the Giants from the onset of the game to win 33-20 in Head Coach Jason Garrett.

The previously 2-6 Denver Broncos beat the Kansas City Chiefs handily on Sunday, a team that was 5-3 and boasted the league’s top rushing offense.

Thanks to Denver’s early domination (they were up 21-0 in the first quarter), Chiefs QB Matt Cassel ended up with a monster fantasy day, passing for 469 yards and four touchdowns. Two touchdowns and 186 yards of which belonged to WR Dwayne Bowe, including a beautifully wrapped gift (for which this fantasy owner is extremely grateful for) in the form of a garbage TD with 10 seconds left with KC down by 26.

Attempting to figure the league out this year is tough, but here are my top five teams right now:

1.) Patriots (7-2): They just beat down the Steelers and showed why coaching is so important in the NFL — Belichick never loses two in a row.

2.) Falcons (7-2): I believe in Matt Ryan. And Roddy White. For fantasy purposes, too.

3.) Saints (6-3): They get Reggie Bush back, and aren’t they still the defending champs?

5.) Eagles (6-3): With a larger sample size with Vick as quarterback, they could be even higher.

4.) Jets (7-2): They are 7-2, and although he is inconsistent, Mark Sanchez finds a way to win close games (two in a row on the road in OT).

Now, in the words of Jim Rome: I am out!

Daily Nexus NFL columnist Ryan Porush will be representing Daily Nexus Sports at the ESPYs in the category of best Jim Rome impression.