The Community Housing Office (CHO) is no stranger to the fact that Isla Vista and Halloween are virtually synonymous. We want students to have a good time, don’t get us wrong, but we don’t want anyone getting hurt or evicted as a result of the festivities. Have a great time on Halloween, but be smart! Below are our top tips (in no particular order) to have a fun, safe, eviction-free Halloween.

– Read your lease or contract for restrictions on guests, parking, parties and kegs during the Halloween weekend. This is also important if you live in university-owned residence halls or apartments since no guests are allowed from Oct. 28 through Nov. 1.

– Talk to your roommates early (like TODAY!) about your plans for Halloween. While in the throes of party planning, your roommates have no idea about the haunted house you are designing. Don’t just be mindful of the legal document you signed with your property provider, also be mindful of the roommate(s) locked into that contract with you who might very well be leaving town to avoid Halloween trouble altogether. Check out UCSB’s Life of the Party Web site for “party thrower” information at LifeoftheParty.sa.ucsb.edu.

– If you are going to have people over for a costume contest, be aware of your level of noise and disruption: The festival ordinance prohibits live or recorded music from being heard outside your apartment or house from 6 p.m. through 7 a.m. starting on Oct. 26 and ending on Nov. 4. If fined, expect to pay up to $500.

– Clean up after yourself. Parties (especially on Halloween) produce a lot of trash. Avoid charges from your property provider by being a responsible tenant and cleaning up the fake spider webs, red cups and candy corn left in the wake of your weekend. Be responsible and recycle what you can (like red cups!). Help clean up your community by volunteering for the Isla Vista Adopt-a-Block Halloween Trash Cleanup on Saturday, Oct. 30 from 10 a.m. through 4 p.m. starting at I.V. Recreation & Park District (961 Embarcadero Del Mar). Call (805) 968-2017 ext. 24 or e-mail cleaniv@ivparks.org for more information. There will be free food, great raffle prizes and cool T-shirts for all volunteers. Do your part to take care of your community. Costume optional.

– Know and trust the people you invite into your domicile. Halloween in Isla Vista is a prime time for thieves to take the opportunity to seize your pricey items. Hide or lock up your valuables. If you are going out (or even if you are staying in), lock your doors and windows. We are sure you can find somewhere in your costume to hold your house key!

– Keep it local. Don’t invite 15 of your “closest” out-of-town friends to stay with you. They will have nowhere to park, eat all your food, may get you in trouble with your property provider and will probably ruin the party for you and your local friends.

– Familiarize yourself with the new parking rules for Halloween weekend. If you park on the 6500 to 6700 blocks of Del Playa, you must move your car somewhere else by 3 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 20 until 6 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 1. There are no Halloween-specific parking permits this year. UCSB students who need/want to move their cars out of Isla Vista can purchase a UCSB Fall Night & Weekend Permit to park on campus in Lots 22, 30 and 38. Lots 16 and 18 (Mesa) will be available for overflow. Order your permit now and check out more parking details on the UCSB Transportation & Parking Web site: www.tps.ucsb.edu.

– Party Smart. Keep an eye on your friends if they have been drinking and know the symptoms of alcohol poisoning and drug overdose by checking out UCSB’s “Just Call 911” Facebook page at facebook.com/JustCall911. Pay special attention to the “Warning Signs” tab.

– If law enforcement determines that Isla Vista has become unsafe for the public, roads will be closed by the County and proof of residency may be required for vehicle entry. Take the time to put an old utility bill or copy of your lease agreement (make sure it has your name and your Isla Vista address on it) in your glove box now so it is there in case you need to prove your residency. Check out the Isla Vista Halloween map and Halloween safety tips and information sheet online www.sa.ucsb.edu/osl/halloween.

We hope you have a fun, safe, eviction-free Halloween, whether you are cruising Del Playa in one of your four elaborate costumes, bobbing for apples and carving pumpkins at home or enjoying a movie at the outdoor Halloween Film Festival on Saturday night at People’s Park. Check out www.ucsbhalloween.com for more information about what’s legal and what isn’t, local Halloween events and other helpful tidbits. Attend the Halloween Town Forum on Thursday, Oct. 21, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in I.V. Theatre 2 (960 Embarcadero del Norte) to voice your concerns and get your questions answered. Contact us at www.housing.ucsb.edu/chohelp.htm to ask for rental advice. Look for us in the UCen next Thursday where we will be passing out candy, making buttons and having a spooky good time. Have a Happy Halloween!