This Saturday, over 67,000 people are expected to attend Oxnard’s 27th annual Strawberry Festival.

The event is an agricultural celebration featuring carnival rides, strawberries from local farmers, a “Berry Blast Off” recipe competition and pie eating contests. Music and artwork will also take the center stage with over 200 artists and musicians providing entertainment for festival-goers.

The festival will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday morning and continue into the evening.

Since the first event in 1984, the festival has been a mainstay of the Ventura County area. The event was originally held at the Channel Islands Harbor but was forced to relocate as it grew more popular.

First-year undeclared major Zach Tran said his family frequents the event.

“I’ve been going to the Strawberry Festival for as long as I can remember,” Tran said. “It’s always been a really great experience to have with my family.”

Festival director Patrick Mullin said the event will have a community focus, bringing in local businesses, artists and musicians to honor the agricultural heritage of the area.

“Unlike the Ventura County Fair, which typically features big names, we try to bring in some bands that the people in Ventura county know, but still keep it local,” Mullin said.

Strawberry Festival public relations agent Lisa Carey said the event will offer unique activities for attendees, such as a strawberry hunt and an eating contest.

“We make an effort to incorporate stuff that you can’t find just anywhere,” Carey said.

The festival will also promote environmentally friendly practices and will have a community shuttle system to transport festival-goers.

“We’re making more of an effort to use a bus system this year,” Carey said. “We want to have a better impact on the environment. Plus it will help with the traffic.”

The festival tickets will cost $12 for adults, $8 for seniors and veterans and $5 for children ages five through 12.

According to Mullin, event organizers anticipate that the celebration will be a success.

“We’re supposed to have great weather, so make sure to put on some sunscreen and wear a hat,” he said.