The 31st annual Extravaganza kicks off Saturday at 1 p.m. in Harder Stadium.

[media-credit name=”Daily Nexus File Photo” align=”alignleft” width=”250″][/media-credit]

UCSB’s annual Extravaganza draws thousands of UCSB students and out-of-towners to Harder Stadium. Last year’s Extravaganza included performances by Ludacris, Cold War Kids and Girl Talk.

This year’s concert features an array of musical acts in addition to activities such as mechanical bull riding and human foosball. Grammy Award nominee and Canadian celebrity Drake, best known for his role as Jimmy on “Degrassi,” will headline the event. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Chromeo, Super Mash Bros. and Soul Minded will also perform throughout the day tomorrow. Soul Minded, the winner of UCSB’s Battle of the Bands, is slated to open the show.

According to Associated Students Program Board Special Events Coordinator Christine McSweeney, the student body has often been unimpressed by past Extravaganza lineups.
“This year we have a solid group of young, fresh, up and coming artists,” Sweeney said. “[In] previous years, the students complained that nothing new was being introduced, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros had a lot of hype from Coachella.”

Over 12,000 people attended last year’s Extravaganza, drawing an unusually high number due in part to the attendance of non-UCSB students. McSweeney said, however, that this year’s festival is projected to attract 8,000 to 10,000 attendees.

“Last year was a fluke,” McSweeney said. “We estimate 20 percent of out-of-towners this year. But even that sounds pretty high.”
The concert — which has been organized annually by A.S. Program Board since 1989 — has previously featured such acts as HelloGoodbye, Saosin, Nas, Cold War Kids, Girl Talk and Asher Roth.

Chris Condron, a second-year business economics major, said he is excited about the originality of this year’s lineup.

“I think the lineup this year is good,” Condron said. “I am really looking forward to Super Mash Bros., Edward Sharpe and Drake.”

However, Jeremiah Coleman, a first-year business economics major, said he was somewhat disappointed with the concert’s main act.

“For the type of atmosphere at UCSB, Drake is a good header, but Kid Cudi would have been better,” he said. “The other artists are of no relevance to me.”

A number of vendors, such as Woodstock’s Pizza and G by Guess, will offer their goods to students at the event. A.S. Program Board member William Harryman, a third-year environmental studies major, said student vendors will also promote their wares at this year’s Extravaganza.

“This year we’re renting out spaces to student vendors,” Harryman said. “Each group pays a certain amount of money — around $10 each — and can promote their club with the space.”
Although admission is free, parking costs $3 per car, and vendors on site will charge for food and drinks.