The Associated Students Finance Board distributed $21,775 to nine student organizations in the final meeting of Fall Quarter last night.

During the two-and-a-quarter hour meeting, the board fully funded Hermanas Unidas, Real Life, Mental Health Interns, the Office of the External Vice President for Local Affairs, Muslim Students Association and F.A.S.T., while partially funding Associated Students Recycling, Lambda Pi Eta and Alpha Delta Chi.

Alpha Delta Chi asked the board for funds to support their first philanthropy project, a Nintendo Wii Olympics. The event, the sorority said, would be a tournament-style game where teams of five would pay a fee to participate, with the proceeds donated to the sorority’s favored charity.

“This is our first annual philanthropy, and since all the ‘good sports’ are already taken we decided to do a Wii Olympics to support our philanthropy,” pledge educator and fourth-year political science major Angelica Alvarez said. “We are advertising to the Greeks, but it is open to everyone, we want to get the dorms and other groups involved, because we want people to come out and get excited about Wii Olympics and for clean water.”

After the presentation, the board had some reservations about allocating the funds as the sorority was unclear on some of the items in their budget. Board member Bennett Duval said he wanted to see the sorority back in front of Finance Board when they had a clearer vision for their event.

“I feel bad for this group because this is their first philanthropy,” Duval said. “But I feel like they still don’t know how to approach us. This is their second time coming to us, and the T-shirts are questionable, and some other stuff is questionable. But I still think it is important, and they are doing a good ting. I want them to come back to us and for us to help them. I really want to see them again.”

After the board discussed the allocation they decided to fund $200 with the stipulation that Alpha Delta Chi return in the future for further funding consideration.

Next, Chad Mandala, a representative from the office of the External Vice President for Local Affairs, presented his plans for a week-long campaign designed to combat ‘hate and intolerance’ on campus by supporting and promoting a ‘culture of acceptance’. Specifically, Mandala, a fourth-year English and dramatic arts major, said he hoped to increase advertising for this year’s White Elephant Project.

“If you remember from last year [the] ‘what is white guilt and what does white privilege mean to you?’ [advertising], we are going to expand them from the Arbor to other high traffic areas for students,” Mandala said. “We will be hitting most forms of advertising, every form of advertising I can get my greedy little fingers on, and [advertising] will be in places on campus for students to find and learn why hate and discrimination are bad.”

The board showed few reservations over Mandala’s campaign, strongly supporting the plan as they broke into allocations. Board member Marcus Rochelle showed only a little hesitancy for the office of the EVPLA’s plans to spend Finance Board funds to make T-shirts.

“I noticed that the shirts — we are trying to promote awareness T-shirts, and these shirts do not promote the cause they are trying to stop,” board member Marcus Rochelle said. “We are really trying to push other groups about awareness T-shirts and push them to have a message. If I saw ‘Be the Change…Live the Dream UCSB’ on a T-shirt I would want to go to UCSB, but that is not really about any cause. I want it to have a real message.”

Board member Alexandra Onodera voiced a concern that UCSB’s transient college population is likely unaware of previous campaigns held by the EVPLA office in regards to hate. Incoming students, she suggested, might need more “awareness campaigns” to become informed.

After deliberations, the board fully funded the EVPLA office $5,382 with the stipulation that the design of their T-shirts reflect their campaign.