Seven scholars from Canada, Korea, Spain and the Middle East have been awarded Fulbright grants to study and conduct research at UCSB during the 2009-10 school year.

The researchers are funded by the Fulbright Scholars Program, an international academic exchange program sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Founded in 1946, the government-run program has sponsored 294,000 American and foreign scholars. Awards are granted based on achievement and leadership demonstration in a given academic or professional field.

One of the grant recipients, Monica-Gabriela Cojocaru, an associate professor of mathematics at the University of Guelph in Canada, will conduct research in the UCSB Dept. of Mathematics during her time abroad, in addition to serving as the Canada-U.S. Fulbright Visiting Research Chair and teaching a math course during Winter Quarter.

The remaining six scholars and their respective roles at UCSB while on the exchange program are as follows: Guillermo Rico Camps, political and social sciences at Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona, who will be a faculty associate in the Dept. of Political Science; Carlos Miguel Tamarit Degenhardt, theoretical physics researcher at Complutense University of Madrid, who will work in the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics; Javier Vidal Hurtado, researcher in the Water Institute at the University of Granada, who will conduct research in the Dept. of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology; Ruben Mirakyan, associate professor in the department of Arabic Studies at Yerevan State University, who will be affiliated with the Dept. of Religious Studies; Kyu Hyun Kim, professor in the School of English at Kyung Hee University in Seoul; and finally, Kyung Hee Suh, professor of English linguistics at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies in Seoul, who will be affiliated with the Dept of Linguistics.