Author and former Los Angeles County District Attorney Vincent Bugliosi will speak in Santa Barbara tonight, discussing why former president George W. Bush should be prosecuted for murder.

Bugliosi will speak at 8 p.m. at the Faulkner Gallery at the Santa Barbara public library, signing copies of his new book, The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder. The author is also known for his prosecution of Charles Manson, the infamous cult leader responsible for several murders in the early 1970s.

In his latest book, Bugliosi claims the former president is guilty of murder, citing the deaths of over 4,000 U.S. servicemen in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The event is sponsored by the county Green Party and Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, as well as William Hull and Lorrie Smithers.

Judith Evered of the Women’s International League said her organization was very interested in the subject Bugliosi’s book.

“We would like the law of the land upheld, and it was broken by the previous president,” Evered said.

Green Party member and Iraq-war opponent Eldon Booth said Bugliosi will be a deciding factor in any case brought against the previous administration.

William Smithers and his wife, Lorrie Hull, who host the local television show, “Just Between Us,” have a personal interest in Vincent Bugliosi’s work. Their daughter Dianne Hull worked with Bugliosi on a book about the assassination of Robert Kennedy.

“We have been impressed with Bugliosi for quite a while,” Smithers said. “We have asked him to come because of his previous connection with Dianne Hull.”

The Smithers couple will also host Bugliosi on their local TV show this Thursday.

Bugliosi earned a law degree from UCLA in 1964 and later worked for the L.A. County District Attorney’s Office. He successfully prosecuted all but one of his 106 felony jury trials, including the trial of Charles Manson. Bugliosi later wrote a best-selling account of the Manson murders entitled Helter Skelter.