UCSB’s Career Services will host its biggest recruiting event of the quarter — the annual Fall Career Fair — today from 1 to 4 p.m. at Corwin Pavilion.

The fair provides students the opportunity to attain full and part-time jobs and internships with nation-wide companies such as Microsoft, Apple, Blizzard Entertainment, Target, Verizon and Chevron, among others. Diego Padilla, Career Services event planner, said the event — which has been held on campus every year for over two decades now — is there to give students hope that their dream jobs are still attainable, despite the state’s fiscal crisis.

“In this tough economic time, with unemployment as high as it is, students need to be aware that large companies are still looking for college graduates to add to their staff,” Padilla said. “This is a great opportunity for students to get out there early and get their resumes to these companies, which there will be about 60 companies total.”

Students who visit the Career Services building by 10 a.m. to either get their resume critiqued or familiarize themselves with employer listings will be allowed to attend the fair an hour early. The event is expected to attract at least 500 students throughout the day.

Don Lubach, associate director of Career Services, said although it may seem too early to think about life after college, he can’t stress enough the importance of getting a head-start on planning one’s future.

“Fall is nationally the peak of hiring for large organizations like the ones that’ll be at the Career Fair,” Lubach said. “For students, especially seniors, it may seem a bit early to be looking at companies, but this is a great chance to meet organizations that are actually looking to hire Gauchos.”

Additionally, Adam Gross, a third-year film & media and Japanese studies major, said he was anxious to talk to the 60 companies that will be in attendance.

“I’m very excited that companies that I have a personal interest in — such as Microsoft and Blizzard Entertainment — are coming here to hire students like me,” Gross said. “The way I see it, the earlier one could start handing out resumes to companies like these, the better. This is our future we’re talking about.”

For more information on the resources that Career Services provides, the full list of companies that will be in attendance and advice on how to present one’s self professionally to employers, visit www.career.ucsb.edu.