The Killers can do no wrong and with its new album, Day & Age. The Las Vegas-based band’s third record will make new fans, keep old fans and have everybody coming back for more.

The Killers are not your stereotypical rockers; the band falls somewhere between the cracks of rock, alternative and dance genres. With its synth-filled debut LP, Hot Fuss, it introduced the world to its innovative sound and cool style; the Killers followed it up with the impressive – but not as well-received – ode to Springsteen and Americana, Sam’s Town. The impressive Day & Age, however, really pushes the limits of the New Wave-type sound the band has worked with so far and illustrates the band’s imagination.

The Killers are all about glitz and over-the-top theatrics, as evidenced in both its lyrics and presentation. The album, produced by dance maverick Stuart Price, presents songs like “Human,” “Joyride” and “I Can’t Stay,” which all offer new sounds for the Killers, ranging from Caribbean-style drums, dubbed sounds and much more. If this album stands for anything, it stands for the band’s intense love of pop music, throwing in elements of legends like David Bowie and Queen.
Judging by just the first song of the album, “Losing Touch” is a complete departure from Sam’s Town. All the harsh sounds and explosive words are gone, replaced instead by soft tones and lovely choruses. “Losing Touch” is a great song that will provoke smiles and tears.

“Human,” the lead single, may be criticized with its cheesy lyrics – “Are we human or are we dancers” – but if you look past that, it is the quintessential essence of pop music.

The best track on the album, next to “Human,” is the infectious “Spaceman.” It paints an interesting picture of not knowing what’s out there in life but embracing it for the better. “It started with a low light / Next thing I knew, they ripped me from my bed / And then they took my blood type / It left a strange impression in my head.”

From start to finish, the album is more than pleasing. Every song explores a new concept not only lyrically but also spiritually and musically. The one song on the entire album that really sets the tone is “Goodnight, Travel Well,” a song that evokes the haunting power of human loss. The song was written soon after guitarist Dave Keuning’s mother passed away. Brandon Flowers’ vocals are perfection, and the short block of instrumentals in the song really compliments the tone. It is without a doubt one of the most touching, raw sounding and beautiful songs the Killers have ever released.
Like all albums from the Killers, there is a great mix of dance music, powerful ballads and always-funky songs in between. The band’s indie-pop roots definitely shine through, and the Killers once again reclaim its throne on the indie and mainstream music circuit.
–Sara Weitz