In an effort to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, the women of Tri Delta will hit the waves and the beach for their fourth annual surf competition, a tug-of-war and other events this Sunday.

The women of Tri Delta and other participants are riding the waves this Sunday for the sorority’s fourth annual Surf Competition to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

The competition, which takes place this Sunday at 9 a.m. at Campus Point, is part of a nationwide Tri Delta fundraiser to benefit St. Jude. The UCSB chapter of the sorority has pledged to raise $62,500 over the next 10 years as a percentage of the national organization’s $10 million pledge to the hospital, Tri Delta Philanthropy Chair Nicole Lokietz said.

“In the next 10 years, our goal is to have raised $10 million,” she said. “Every chapter in the country is raising money.”

Tri Delta Vice President of Public Relations Shannon Moffett said anybody who wants to participate in the competition or any of the other events – which include a sand castle competition and a tug-of-war – can sign up in the Arbor today from 10:30 a.m. until 2 p.m.

Moffett, a fourth-year communication and Spanish major, said the surf competition is important to the sorority because it is for a charitable cause.

“We are really hoping to sell a lot of raffle tickets and get a lot of surfer participation because it is for such a good cause,” she said. “St. Jude is a leader is cancer research and everyone knows someone whose life has been affected by cancer.”

Participants in the surf competition must pay a $20 registration fee, fourth-year global studies and Spanish major Lokietz said. The event is funded by Associated Students, and all proceeds from the registration fees and raffle ticket sales (at $1 per ticket) go to St. Jude.

Although the main focus of the event is the surf competition, Moffett said, anyone can participate in the fundraising and fun on Sunday.

“Even if people can’t surf, it is open to everyone,” Moffett said. “It’s open to all different levels.”

St. Jude Research Hospital, located in Memphis, Tennessee, is a premiere center for pediatric treatment and research for cancer and other catastrophic childhood diseases, Lokietz said. The hospital also offers its services to doctors and hospitals worldwide.

“Not only will participants have fun and have the chance to win prizes and meet people, but it is also a really good cause,” Lokietz said. “I went there this summer to the actual hospital and the things they do there are really amazing.”

Last year, Lokietz said, about 40 surfers participated in the competition. She said the sorority hopes for at least 60 participants this year. Although many of the surfers are affiliated with the greek system, she said, many community members come out for the event.

“We get a lot of people from the community and people from other schools,” she said. “It’s very cool.”

Within the surf competition are different divisions for men and women and for shortboards and longboards.

Late registration is available on Sunday at 8 a.m. for surfing and 11 a.m. for the other events at Campus Point, but Lokietz said spaces are limited.

Lokietz said students and community members should go to the event even if they do not participate in the activities, with the raffle prizes including Nordstrom gift baskets, skim boards and gift certificates to Isla Vista eateries.

“There are some really cool prizes,” she said.