The 2006-07 Associated Students Legislative Council ended its tenure yesterday with heartfelt goodbyes and the passage of five bills, as well as advice for incoming representatives.

Prior to swearing in the new A.S. executives and Leg Council members, the 2006-07 council approved five bills during their last meeting of the year. The bills included the creation of new positions on A.S. Program Board, removing the A.S. First Year Council and revising Finance Board policies and procedures.

Leg Council members voted with consent to remove the First Year Council. Representatives said last week that the freshmen committee remained largely inactive throughout the school year.

As for the changes to the Finance Board policies, the amendments include new internal lock-in funding for the Student-Initiated Outreach Program, the United States Students Association, sports clubs, cultural events and graduation ceremonies.

After quickly passing these bills, members reflected on their experiences and thanked A.S. staff, executives and other representatives for their work throughout the year.

Off-campus Representative Tiffany Pascual said while the year had been difficult, she was happy to serve as a Leg Council member.

“It’s been a struggle the entire year I sat on the board,” Pascual said. “But I’m really glad I was able to work on the council.”

Additionally, some representatives, such as Rep-at-large Sam Marks, offered advice for incoming council members.

“If you have an idea of something you want to do on leg council, start now and work over the summer” Marks said. “Don’t underestimate the power you have. It’s incredible.”

On-campus Representative Meri Telayan said group cooperation was essential for a successful Leg Council.

“It’s going to be one hell of an experience,” Telayan said. “Learn how to work with people who have different opinions.”

Meanwhile, several council members, like Rep-at-large JP Slauenwhite, credited A.S. with providing an avenue for personal growth through the course of the year.

“It’s been an awesome road,” Slauenwhite said. “Being in A.S. has given me a lot of perspective and changed my mind about a lot of things.”

After two hours, the council agreed to adjourn its final meeting with 17 in favor and six opposing.

Afterward, the 2007-08 Leg Council representatives and A.S. executives – President Stephanie Brower, Internal Vice President Matt Jackson, External Vice President of Statewide Affairs Christine Byon, EVP-Local Affairs Lindsey Quock and Student Advocate General Mark Regus – were sworn in. The new council’s sole order of business was placing $30,000 into the A.S. president’s special projects fund to provide A.S. summer internships.

“There’s a lot of work that has to be done over the summer,” University Owned Housing Rep Amanda Burlingame said. “Whatever is left over is probably going to go back into unallocated [funds].Ó

Additionally during the hour and a half meeting, the new executives and Leg Council members shared their plans and enthusiasm for the future.

“I’m just super excited,” Brower said. “I look forward to seeing you every Wednesday from now until virtual eternity.”