At yesterday’s Associated Students Legislative Council meeting, Leggies unanimously approved two bills and two resolutions after witnessing two presentations – one about Isla Vista’s noise ordinance and the other regarding the UC Students Vote! Campaign.

Through the first bill, the council approved the structure of the Community Affairs Board Foundation, while the second approved bill of the night mandated that neither A.S. nor its affiliates could do business with Conquest Student Housing. Meanwhile, the first resolution discussed expressed support for a protest at a college in Washington, D.C., and the second supported plans for a new noise ordinance in I.V.

The council concluded the meeting by going to a closed session.

One of the two presentations concerned activating potential voters on campus. During the presentation, External Vice President of Statewide Affairs Bill Shiebler said the UC Students Vote! campaign, among other goals, aims to increase student voter turnout at UCSB by 10 percent from 2002.

“This is very rare,” Shiebler said. “It doesn’t happen in most states across the county … and it’s going to really provide us the opportunity to get a lot of students registered in the future.”

Keith Russell, the vice president of external affairs for Santa Barbara City College Associated Students, gave a brief presentation about the current noise ordinance in I.V. that was passed by the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors in 1990. He asked the council to support amendments to Chapter 40 of the Santa Barbara County Code.

According to the resolution, the amendment would change the permissible time range for when noise can be made in Isla Vista, end the “no tolerance” policy on noise violations, and allow students to obtain permits to play music past the restricted hours.

In his presentation, Russell said the changes will “protect public peace and eliminate confrontation with neighbors.”

“I think this is one topic we should pursue because this is something students would fight for,” Russell said. “This could really be a student-driven initiative.”

The amended noise ordinance would change weekend noise curfew hours from 12 a.m. to the following: All 6500 blocks in Isla Vista would be extended to 2 a.m., 6600 and 6700 blocks would remain at 12 a.m., and the 6800 block would change to 10 p.m.

During discussion on the resolution, Rep-at-Large Jason Parnell raised a few concerns about the curfew distribution because families living on the 6500 blocks would be subject to the 2 a.m. noise ordinance extension.

In response, Russell said this layout would best accommodate college students and families in I.V. because the later curfew is restricted to the 6500 block.

“It just seemed simpler like this … and there is less concern about noise carrying in residential neighborhoods,” Russell said.

The council passed the resolution with consent.

Afterwards, Leggies passed a resolution that asks for the council’s support against recent events that occurred at Gallaudet University, located in Washington, D.C. Gallaudet specializes in instructing deaf and hard of hearing students.

According to the resolution, the recent selection of a new president for the university reflects a “pattern of prejudice,” as an African-American candidate was not chosen to be among the three finalists for the executive position.

The resolution also states that the selection of president Jane K. Fernandes furthers discrimination and stereotypes against deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals, as Fernandes did not learn sign language until she was in her twenties.

Rep-at-Large Sam Marks urged the council to support the resolution.

“I think this is an awesome resolution,” Marks said. “I think we can take that extra step to offer our help.”