Local students, residents and activists are getting together this Sunday to share stories about Isla Vista’s political past and discuss ways to improve I.V. in the future through grass-roots organizing.

“A Homegrown Revolution: A Retreat For The Entire Community,” is scheduled for Feb. 12 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the Cliff House on Coal Oil Point, near Sands Beach. A.S. External Vice President of Local Affairs Kelly Burns said issues addressed at the retreat will include tenants’ rights, the coordination of community events that provide alternatives to the local party scene, the construction of the I.V. Community Center, preserving the local environment and building relationships between local residents and students.

Burns said she expects about 50 local residents and representatives from university groups and community organizations to attend the event. Members of UCSB student groups, former I.V. residents and local community leaders will lead workshops from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The workshops will include presentations about how to organize activist movements, local political victories won through grass-roots organizing and various proposed improvements to the local infrastructure.

The workshops will also feature discussion groups that will allow participants to apply the concepts they learn during the retreat to plan future grass-roots campaigns, Burns said. Following the workshops, free dinner will be provided and traditional Mexican musicians, Marisol and Felipe More