The Associated Students Legislative Council unanimously passed a bill to amend its legal code by-laws Wednesday night in an effort to create better lines of communication between local activists and A.S. executive officers.

The bill updates the duties of A.S. Student Lobby, which is an A.S. committee, and the external vice presidents’ offices, by altering Articles VI and XI in the A.S. legal code. Articles VI and XI specify Student Lobby and vice presidents’ office membership, membership duties and liaison roles.

University-Owned Housing Rep. Felix Hu said the bill will improve communication between Student Lobby, the external vice president of statewide affairs and the external vice president of local affairs through the creation of new liaison positions. Student Lobby works on campaigns relating to students’ rights and student fees.

“The bill itself was made because there used to be a problem where Student Lobby was doing one thing and the executive vice president’s office was doing another thing, but both things were the same thing,” Hu said. “This bill increases communication so that there can be more coordination.”

Off-Campus Rep. Raymond Meza said the bill was important because Student Lobby membership had expanded greatly, making it difficult for the group to keep track of which members were responsible for individual campaigns. The additional liaisons will help maintain accountability in the organization.

“It’s just that the organization got a lot bigger,” Meza said. “It grew last year because of their campaigns. [Student Lobby] got notoriety when they went out to I.V. and told people about their rights with the [Isla Vista Foot Patrol]. That campaign got them a lot of membership.”

Meza said the bill resolves previous inefficiencies in the interaction between Student Lobby and the external vice presidents’ offices.

“Now the external vice president [of statewide affairs] appoints the legislative liaison,” Meza said. “It also brought in the external vice president of local affairs so there can also be work on local issues and not just statewide issues.”