You won’t be just another face in the crowd at Campbell Hall tonight — not if Howard Zinn has anything to say about it.

Zinn, 83, is a professor, historian and social activist who has made a career out of telling the untold story — turning faces in the crowd into voices of history. In his bestselling book, A People’s History of the United States: 1942-Present, Zinn writes about American history from the perspective of the women, factory workers, protesters and minorities whose voices aren’t often heard in classroom textbooks. Zinn said he hopes to use his insights on the past to illuminate the present in his lecture, “Embracing Humanity – Truth in a Time of War.” The event begins at 8 p.m. and costs $10 for students to attend and $15 for the general public.

“[I want] to tell people what I’m thinking in the supposition that maybe I’m thinking things that they haven’t thought about,” Zinn said. “Or [maybe I’m] bringing them information that they don’t have, or making connections that weren’t made, or telling them things they don’t get on television or in newscasts or in major media.”

Some contemporary subjects Zinn said he may touch on include the Bush administration, the state of the nation and the United States’ relationship with other countries. He said he may also examine the meaning of many phrases that have become clich