Associated Students President Cervin Morris will appear in court today to set a date for his preliminary hearing.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Hilary Dozer said he and defense attorney Adam Pearlman will meet in department nine of the Santa Barbara County Courthouse to briefly discuss the case and set a preliminary hearing date, but said there would not be any “fireworks.”

“There’s a possibility that we could settle the case, but I doubt it,” Dozer said. “The entire thing should last no more than five minutes.”

Morris, a junior English major, faces one count of felony assault with a deadly weapon resulting in bodily injury and one misdemeanor count of battery after he was arrested Nov. 12 for allegedly hitting a man in the head with a glass bottle and punching another man in the face. On Jan. 4, Morris pled not guilty to the charges filed against him by the District Attorney’s Office.

Morris was also in court for a probation violation. He was sentenced to probation after he was arrested May 8, 2003 for driving under the influence of alcohol. Morris pled guilty to a lesser misdemeanor charge of reckless driving involving alcohol. At the time of his arrest, Morris had a blood alcohol level of .08 percent — the legal limit in California — but he was under the age of 21. It is illegal for minors to drive with a blood alcohol level over .01 percent.