The Santa Barbara County District Attorney’s office is asking for students’ help in finding the possible victim and witness of a hit-and-run that occurred last March.

Shelly Sweeton, an investigator for the D.A.’s office, said she is searching for a young female named Natalie, last name unknown, who witnessed a hit-and-run accident that occurred on the evening of March 26, 2004, on the 6600 block of Sabado Tarde Road. Sweeton said the D.A.’s office is currently filing charges against the driver, but she said the woman’s testimony could be valuable to the D.A.’s case. Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact Sweeton at (805) 568-2352. She said the D.A.’s office will keep the identity of anyone who calls confidential.

Sweeton said the information sought by the D.A.’s office stems from a case in which Tyson Gyuire left a party at 6646 Sabado Tarde Rd. on the night of the incident and began to drive home. She said Gyuire crashed his black 1998 Honda into two vehicles parked on Trigo Road and almost crashed head-on into another vehicle. Gyuire fled the scene of the crime in his vehicle but turned himself into the SB County Sheriff’s Dept. the next morning.

Sweeton said Gyuire told police a young woman was in the car with him at the time of the accident. He said the woman’s name was Natalie, but he did not know her last name because he had just met her.

Sweeton said she thinks Natalie lives in Isla Vista, based on Gyuire’s statement that she walked home after the accident.

“She’s the only eyewitness who was in the vehicle at the time,” Sweeton said. “Because she’s a witness, and because she may have been injured, we just want to interview her.”

Sweeton said Gyuire is currently being charged with two counts of misdemeanor hit-and-run and one count of driving under the influence. She said Natalie’s testimony could potentially change the case.