Ricardo Apollo King, Jr., a former UCSB student, pled not guilty to four felony charges at his arraignment last Wednesday.

King, 20, was arrested Feb. 26 for allegedly shoplifting from the UCSB Bookstore. He was arrested again on April 8 in connection with the alleged attempted rape of a woman that took place that week in San Rafael Residence Hall. At his preliminary hearing, Santa Barbara County Superior Court Judge Joseph Lodge held King to answer on charges of grand theft, commercial burglary, false imprisonment and attempted rape.

The next step in the case is a July 7 readiness and settlement hearing, which will give Lodge a chance to meet with King’s public defender, Rory Moore, and Senior Deputy District Attorney Joyce Dudley. At the hearing, Lodge will make sure that both the defense and prosecution are prepared before going to trial, and the two sides will also be able to discuss possible opportunities for a plea bargain.

Dudley said a date has not yet been set for the trial, and that the case is being handled delicately to avoid further upsetting the alleged victim.

“We know it’s traumatic for the victim,” Dudley said. “Testifying can be very stressful. We’re hoping to work it out, but it takes time.”