Ralph, you poor, desperate man. I can’t say that I’ll ever understand you. Your intentions, however, I worry about. Mr. Nader states that this latest run for the presidency is a result of a “bankrupt and corrupt government.” How noble a cause in this day and age. Are you sure it isn’t about ego?

My problem isn’t really with Ralph Nader, as he has stood up for the consumer as an advocate. But this is clearly where the good deeds stop and the looney-tunes begin.

All this talk of being anti-lobbyist, anti-big government and anti-corporation is simply ear candy for those gullible enough to support his campaign.

If anybody paid any attention to his qualms, they would soon see that he is no different than those he disdains. Who better to complain about foxes in the hen house than the fox himself?

I will never make $100,000 a year, and to see that yearly income figure in my lifetime would amount to a miracle. However, I don’t have a problem with somebody making that amount or more per year. This is America and it’s capitalist. If you’re not used to it, then let me recommend a little island 90 miles south of Florida called Cuba where you can live out all of your anti-capitalist fantasies.

Ralph Nader sees it differently. According to Ralph, nobody in the U.S. should be allowed to make over $100,000 per year. True quote from the man himself, live on “Politically Incorrect With Bill Maher” during his last bid for the presidency in 2000.

But he wouldn’t discuss the thousands of dollars he rakes in as “consulting” or “speaker” fees. Clearly a case of do as I say, not as I do.

Then there’s his way of dealing with a Congress reluctant to pass one of his bills if he were elected president. His method of solving gridlock is to sue Congress and the Senate in order to get things done. Now there’s a way to really reduce gridlock: Slap an injunction on the U.S. Congress or Senate. As unrealistic as this may sound, it speaks volumes as to the real Ralph Nader.

While outrageous, these statements show the real legacy of Ralph Nader’s consumer rights campaign, making his intentions crystal clear. His background is that of a trial lawyer, the same breed responsible for flooding the courts system with frivolous lawsuits in an effort to reward stupid people for stupid acts. Call them ambulance chasers or whatever; they’re crooks.

Ever wonder why property and auto insurance has skyrocketed? Ever hear about the dingbat spilling hot coffee on her lap and being awarded a multimillion-dollar settlement? These are but a few scenarios that Ralph opened the floodgates for.

Based on his advocacy, all he has done is make it so that the average American has to pay more for goods because some people are simply too stupid to read the directions, then misuse the item and sue. And now he wants to be our president.

Democratic candidates are sweating it now that Nader has again announced his candidacy, as they seem to feel that he’ll steal votes away from them and Dubya will get a second term. They’re even personally asking him to bow out of the election.

Personally, I say run, Ralph. It’s always good to see a shake-up in the status quo and besides, there is allowance for a third party in our constitution.

Nader’s last run got him almost 5 percent of the vote, and with the Democrats blaming him for putting Dubya in office, let’s just say that if he gets half of what he got last time it will be a miracle.

So let the three-ring circus begin. PT Barnum once said that there’s a sucker born every minute. Ralph Nader knows this to be a fact, and he’s going to use that knowledge to drum up whatever support he can. Idealism in this case makes for a sucker and there’s an idealist born every minute. PT Barnum would be proud.

Henry Sarria is a longtime Isla Vista resident.