Truth be told, there is usually very little to be said about the latest releases in house with the exception of an opinion (Is it worth downloading? Purchasing? Playing Frisbee with?) and a brief description of the sound (Funky breaks? Progressive house? Electro down-tempo?). Global Frequencies: Tokyo doesn’t necessarily bring anything remarkable to the deejay mix album genre, but it’s a good album all the same.

Global Frequencies: Tokyo is the first in a series of albums aimed at capturing the newest sounds in house from Mark Lewis’ new label, Phatt Phunk. Mark Lewis, to give a brief history, got his start with all the other big-timers (Carl Cox, Paul Oakenfold, Doc Martin, DJ Dan) in the Los Angeles area, deejaying at many raves and on Sunday nights at a little club called Logic in Santa Monica. Having now traveled the world over to spin his unique blend of techno, house, tribal and progressive trance, Mark Lewis brings his cultural knowledge and curiosities to the decks again for this mix.

For the fan of dark, deep progressive house, Global Frequencies: Tokyo is a good bet; Mark Lewis is a pro at building innovative and creative breakdowns. I’m not a huge fan of progressive house, but I must admit, listening to this album reinvigorated my excitement for the Electronic Music Festival where Mark Lewis will be spinning this Saturday in San Diego. Album and event – get your glowsticks ready.

The Electronic Music Festival takes place Saturday, May 10 at the San Diego Sports Center, 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. $20 concourse level; $40 floor level; $125 VIP. For tickets, visit TicketMaster. For more information, visit www.emf2001.com.